Unit Supervisor Water Operations*
*The 14-day in-house notice is incorporated in this job announcement.
The City of Henderson announces an examination to create an eligibility list and to fill two (2) vacancies for the classification of Unit Supervisor Water Operations in the Department of Utility Services. The eligibility list may be utilized to fill vacancies for this classification for up to six (6) months or up to (1) year depending on current employment status.**
Under general supervision, plans, assigns, directs, monitors, evaluates, supervises, and participates in semi-skilled and skilled work associated with the inspection, operation, maintenance, and repair of facilities and equipment used in the distribution, storage, and disinfection of raw and potable water systems; and performs related duties as assigned.
** NOTE TO CURRENT EMPLOYEES:
- Pursuant to the Teamsters collective bargaining agreement, regular full-time current employees successfully completing the testing process will be placed on an eligibility list to be used to fill vacancies in this classification for up to six (6) months.
- Probationary full-time, part-time and temporary employees who have worked at least three (3) continuous months with the CITY may apply for this recruitment. These employees and external candidates who successfully complete the testing process will be placed on separate lists, each of which may be used to fill vacancies for up to one (1) year. If the vacancy is not filled through promotion by full-time employees, the next opportunity for placement will be to hire qualified probationary full-time, regular part-time and temporary employees. If the vacancy is not filled using either of these two lists, the next opportunity is to hire external candidates.
External candidates, probationary full-time, part-time, and temporary City of Henderson employees will start at the first step of the salary range.
Click here to view a complete copy of the job description and physical requirements.
Click here to learn more about the Department of Utility Services.
Click here to see what it's like to live in/visit Henderson.
- Graduation from high school, or equivalent
- 72 hours of college-level courses related to water or training approved by International Association of Education Training (IACET)
- Five (5) years of full-time experience in the operation and maintenance of potable water distribution systems; one (1) year of which as a senior or lead operator
- Note: An equivalent combination of related training and experience may be considered
- Must possess and maintain a valid Nevada or "border state" driver's license, as defined by NRS 483
- Must possess a Grade III Water Distribution Certification, or higher, issued by the State of Nevada Department of Environmental Protection
- Must possess a Grade II Water Treatment Certification, or higher, issued by the State of Nevada Department of Environmental Protection*
- Must possess a Grade III Plant Maintenance Technologist certification issued by Water Professionals International (WPI) or Nevada Water Environment Association (NWEA)*
- Employee will be expected to complete assigned training courses through the City of Henderson's learning management system
- All required licenses and certificates, as mandated by state and federal laws, or as required herein, must be obtained at the incumbent's expense
- Employee must maintain certificates and licenses for the position in good standing as a condition of continued employment
*NOTE: For this recruitment only, a Grade I Water Treatment Certification, or higher, issued by the State of Nevada Department of Environmental Protection required at the time of application. The Grade II Water Treatment Certification, or higher, will need to be obtained within four (4) months of appointment, as a condition of continued employment
*NOTE: For this recruitment only, the Grade III Plant Maintenance Technologist Certification , issued by Water Professionals International (WPI) or Nevada Water Environment Association (NWEA) will need to be obtained within twelve (12) months of appointment, as a condition of continued employment
Required Documents/Assessment Information
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:
1) Completed Employment Application
2) Current Grade III Water Distribution Certification, or higher, issued by the State of Nevada Department of Environmental Protection*
3) Current Grade I Water Treatment and Distribution Certification, or higher, issued by the State of Nevada Department of Environmental Protection *
4) Current Grade II Water Treatment and Distribution Certification, or higher, issued by the State of Nevada Department of Environmental Protection, if applicable*
5) Current Grade III Plant Maintenance Technologist Certification issued by Water Professionals International (WPI) or Nevada Water Environment Association (NWEA), if applicable*
*Please attach your documents to the "Attachments" section of your application, click here for attachment instructions.
Performance Examination (Weighted 100%) - Thursday, October 5, 2023
(Best Qualified Candidates)
Selection Interview - Tuesday, October 10, 2023
(Top Scoring Candidates)
All applicants will be notified by email or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, you will be required to self-schedule through the City of Henderson online application system. Please check your email and/or text messages on a regular basis after submitting your application for complete instructions, which include where and when to report.
The assessment and selection process for this position will take place on the dates listed above. All candidates who wish to be considered for this position will need to be in Henderson, Nevada to participate in the testing process at any time on any of the dates listed above.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best-qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. The City will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. It is the responsibility of the candidate requiring accommodation to contact the Human Resources Department (preferably in writing) at the time of application.
Appointment may be subject to the successful and timely completion of a post offer pre-employment background investigation and medical/physical examination, including a drug/alcohol test. Please see the job description to view the physical requirements. The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards.
CITY OF HENDERSON, NEVADA
Teamsters Contract Benefits Summary
- Health Insurance: Medical, Prescription, Dental, Vision.
- Employer paid Long Term Disability.
- Employer paid Term Life Insurance - $75,000 Life Insurance on employee.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Medicare - Employee and City each pay 1.45%.
- Employer paid Membership in the State of Nevada Public Employees Retirement System (PERS).
- No Social Security tax on employee's wages.
- Retirement Health Savings (RHS) program.
- The City provides a clothing and personal effects allowance for employees required to wear a uniform.
- A shoe allowance is provided on an annual basis to those employees required to wear safety shoes.
- Employee credited with 19 hours of annual leave at the end of the first six (6) months of employment. Annual leave will accrue from month 7 to month 12 at 3.167 hours per month (total 38 hours first year of employment).
- Accrued at 9.5 hours per month after first year through fifth year; 12.67 hours per month sixth through twelfth year; 15.83 hours per month upon completion of twelfth year and beyond.
- Accrued at 9.5 hoursper month from date of hire.
- Three consecutive days of leave, with pay, per occurrence, to attend funeral for immediate family member; increasedto one work week when funeral is held 400 statute miles or more from City of Henderson.
- 12 paid holidays per year.
- Two (2) floating holidays per year.
- Four day, 9.5 hour work day, 38 hour work week.
- Three day, 12 hour work day, 38 hour work week for certain positions.
- IRC 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- IRC 401A Deferred Compensation Plan (new/re-hired employees only)
- IRC125 Plan Flexible Benefits Plan
- Cancer/Catastrophic Illness, Accident, Short Term Disability Insurance
- Auto and Home Insurance
- 529 College Savings Plan
- Supplemental Term Life Insurance
- Legal Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Identity and Credit Protection
- Employee Network Membership
Closing Date/Time: 9/25/2023 3:00 PM Pacific