Sierra Kids Site Leader
Join the City of Reno Youth Department! This position directly impacts the future of our community through positive experiences and interactions with our youth.
We are seeking qualified candidates to oversee subordinate temporary staff and direct the program curriculum for elementary school age children in a before and after school program. This is a creative team environment that facilitates fun and learning. Program includes arts and crafts, sports, group games, homework help, structured play, mentoring, and creating a safe place for our city's youth.
Regular Part-Time Classified Positions
We currently have multiple vacancies for the Sierra Kids Site Leader position in the Parks and Recreation Department in which hiring will begin immediately following the close of this recruitment. This recruitment will also establish a list for future vacancies, which will be filled as they occur. These positions include health and wellness benefits, employer paid retirement, paid time off and holidays, and much more. Hours are anticipated to be 30 per week and may require working evenings, weekends, and certain holidays. Most of these positions will also require a split shift, working from 7:00 AM - 9:30 AM and 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
This is an open competitive opportunity for all qualified applicants.
The City of Reno is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to everyone. This commitment is an integral part of our efforts to ensure that we have a diverse and representative workforce that serves the community of Reno.
Examples of Essential Functions
- Monitor a designated facility or activity site, program, and staff.
- Provide supervision responsibilities to assigned staff.
- Schedule appointments and maintain files. Maintain and keep program areas clean, orderly and organized.
- Order and track supplies and maintain program inventory.
- Monitor and enforce policies, rules, and safety regulations governing the conduct of patrons and staff.
- Train assigned temporary staff, as to job duties and responsibilities.
- Implement program curriculum and administrative projects.
- Regularly inspect facilities and equipment to insure proper maintenance and safe conditions.
- Clean and maintain program equipment regularly.
- Research and compile information on programs and facilities.
- Create documents for program and facility using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point) and other department software.
- Perform related duties as required.
The following minimum qualifications must be met by applicants at the time of application:
Combinations of relevant work experience and education that are equivalent to the following minimum qualifications are acceptable.*
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- One year of part-time work experience (minimum schedule of 17.5 hours per week or 910 cumulative work hours) in providing recreational activities, which may have been obtained through child, youth, and/or senior recreational, educational, daycare, home care, and/or Pre-K - Grade 12 settings.
*One year of college level course work (30 semester/45 quarter credits) in recreation, human development, childhood development, education, social services or other closely related field to the position may be substituted for up to six months of the required relevant work experience.
**Bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.**
Please submit your completed application and all additional information/documentation requested online at www.reno.gov/jobs by September 17, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. PT . If a computer or mobile device is not available to you, suggested locations to complete an online application submittal include: the City of Reno City Hall 2nd floor computer kiosk or 5th floor Civil Service Offices, any locations of Nevada Job Connect or any local library or educational facility.
If you are having difficulty logging into your governmentjobs.com profile, please call the applicant support line at 855-524-5627.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and pass the examination for this position to be eligible for hire. The examination will consist of a Training and Experience evaluation (T&E) weighted as follows:
- Training & Experience Evaluation (T&E) = 100%
- Employee Personality Profile = Informational purposes only
Online Assessment Details:
Qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the online assessment once the recruitment has closed. This test will be self-administered with no proctor, which means candidates will be able to complete them online at their convenience during the designated testing window.
The instructions and guidelines will be emailed to qualified applicants after the recruitment closes on September 17, 2023. Please make sure to check for emails around this time, including your spam folder so that you do not miss this testing opportunity. The assessment must be completed within the designated testing window to move forward in the hiring process.
Training and Experience Evaluation (T&E) Details
The T&E examination consists of a Supplemental Questionnaire. The questions may be viewed online under the tab marked "QUESTIONS" on the job announcement page. The
T&E must be submitted online at the time of application.
- Responses to your T&E questions should be consistent with the information given in your application details. Answers are subject to verification.
- Failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score; therefore, it is advantageous for you to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question.
- In order to receive credit for education or training, you must attach copies of your transcripts, diploma, or relevant certificates to your online application.
- Resumes or questionnaires uploaded as attachments to the application will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question online.
- "See Resume" or "See above," etc., are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
- Changes or corrections to your responses cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- TIP: It may be more efficient to develop your responses in a word processing document and then paste them into the online questionnaire to be submitted.
Applicants are notified by email of their examination results. Applicants who do not meet the minimum qualifications will also be notified.
If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability and will be requesting an accommodation, that request must be made to the Chief Examiner no later than the closing date of this announcement.
Employee/Veteran Preference (In the event of Tie Scores):
In the event of tie scores resulting from an open competitive examination, employees will be provided a rank preference in the following order: employees with established veteran status shall be given the first preference, non-veteran employees second preference and non-employee veterans third preference. This preference will only be administered in the event of tie scores. Documentation must be submitted at time of application.
Appointment and Certification:
Appointments to positions in the City's Civil Service system are made on the basis of examination. Scores resulting from a competitive examination are used in determining a person's rank on an eligible register. The department may hire any of the persons referred. The names of those persons not hired may be considered when the next vacancy occurs, for as long as that register is viable.
Health & Safety Statement:
The health and well-being of our employees, our families, and the community we serve is of utmost importance to the City. Please be aware that many roles at the City of Reno include interacting with members of the public, including close contact with vulnerable individuals. The City of Reno has implemented numerous strategies to minimize the spread of COVID-19, and other contagious diseases. Vaccination is recognized as an effective method for reducing the likelihood of infection, and limiting the severity of disease. While we have lifted the vaccination requirement for new employees, the City of Reno encourages all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, which includes boosters recommended by the CDC.
Questions about the information on this announcement and updates to application information should be directed to Civil Service at (775) 334-2223 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
The City of Reno is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment, hiring, assignment, training, compensation, promotion, retention, and disciplinary decisions will be made without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, political affiliation, membership in an employee association, or any other protected class status applicable under federal or state law or City Charter.
Please use this Health and Welfare Benefit Link to learn more about the City of Reno's great employee benefit plans and wellness programs.
Closing Date/Time: 9/17/2023 11:59 PM Pacific