Senior Animal Control Officer*
*The 14-day in-house notice is incorporated in this job announcement.
The City of Henderson announces an examination to create an eligibility list and to fill one (1) vacancy for the classification of Senior Animal Control Officer in the Police Department. The eligibility list may be utilized to fill vacancies for this classification for up to one (1) year.
Under general supervision, enforces animal control ordinances and regulations; supervises Animal Control Officers; and performs related work as assigned.
Click here to view a complete copy of the job description and physical requirements.
External candidates, probationary full-time, part-time, and temporary City of Henderson employees will start at the first step of the salary range.
- Graduation from high school, or the equivalent
- Five (5) years of experience as an Animal Control Officer for a public or law enforcement agency
- Note: An equivalent combination of related training and experience may be considered.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Nevada or "border state" driver's license, as defined by NRS 483.
- Must possess a Level I Academy of the National Animal Control Association certificate, within the timeframe required by the Henderson Police Department.
- Must possess within one (1) year of employment as a condition of continued employment: certification as a Euthanasia Technician by the Nevada State Veterinarian Board; registration from the Drug Enforcement Agency to handle controlled substances; certification in the use of Taser, Oleoresin Capsicum spray; Bite stick; and remote animal capture; and proof of completion of the P.O.S.T. First Line Supervisor Program.
- All required licenses, certificates, and registrations, as mandated by State and Federal laws or as required herein, must be obtained and maintained at the incumbents' expense.
- Must pass a nationwide fingerprint-based record check, and a wants/warrants check.
- Must complete Security Awareness and National Crime Information Center (NCIC)/Nevada Criminal Justice Information System (NCJIS) certification within six months of hire/transfer and be recertified every two years.Must maintain certifications in NCIC/NCJIS as a condition of continued employment.
- Desirable: Experience supervising and training Animal Control Officers.
- Desirable: P.O.S.T. First Line Supervisor Program.
- Desirable: Taser, Oleoresin Capsicum spray, Bite Stick, and remote animal capture certifications.
Required Documents/Assessment Information
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:
1) Completed Employment Application
2) Completed Supplemental Questionnaire
Oral Review Board w/ Written Component (Weighted 100%) - Tuesday, September 15, 2020
(Best Qualified Candidates)
Selection Interview - Thursday, September 17, 2020
(Top Scoring Candidates)
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, you will be required to self-schedule through the City of Henderson on-line application system. Please check your e-mail on a regular basis after submitting your application for complete instructions, which include where and when to report.
The assessment and selection process for this position will take place on the dates listed above. All candidates who wish to be considered for this position will need to be available to participate in the testing process at any time on any of the dates listed above.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. The City will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. It is the responsibility of the candidate requiring accommodation to contact the Human Resources Department in writing prior to the close of the recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a medical/physical examination including a drug/alcohol test. Please see the job description to view the physical requirements. The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards.
*NOTE TO CURRENT EMPLOYEES*
Probationary full-time, part-time and temporary employees who have worked at least three (3) continuous months with the CITY may apply for this recruitment. Candidates successfully completing the testing will be placed on a separate hire list. If the vacancy is not filled through promotion by full-time employees, the next opportunity for placement will be to hire qualified probationary full-time, regular part-time and temporary employees.
IMPORTANT : Appointment is subject to the successful completion of a post offer pre-employment background investigation, polygraph examination, medical/physical examination, drug and alcohol test. Please see the job description to view the physical requirements of the job . As part of the background investigation, all claims of education and experience made in the employment application process, as well as other information submitted, will be verified.
NOTE: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. The selection process should be completed within four (4) months of the closing date. Candidates may reapply when there is a vacancy and a posting to establish an eligibility list. Some candidates may be disqualified indefinitely due to the results of their background investigation.
Closing Date/Time: 8/24/2020 3:00 PM Pacific