Police Services Specialist
Join the City of Reno and become part of an amazing team who strives every day to make our community a place we are all proud to call home.
The ideal candidate in this position will meet face-to-face with victims, survivors and witnesses of all ages and types of crime, taking written and/or oral statements, collecting evidence and writing crime reports.
Police Services Specialist provide all citizens with the highest level of service, respect and dignity. This position requires a high level of customer service that focuses on enhanced community engagement and maintaining responsiveness while performing duties of a complex, highly sensitive, and confidential nature.
We currently have a vacancy in the Reno Police Department in which hiring will begin immediately following the close of this recruitment. This recruitment will also establish a list for future vacancies, which will be filled as they occur.
*This is an open competitive opportunity for all qualified applicants.*
The City of Reno is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to everyone. This commitment is an integral part of our efforts to ensure that we have a diverse and representative workforce that serves the community of Reno.
Examples of Essential Functions
- Perform a variety of advanced clerical and routine technical, programmatic, and administrative duties requiring the application of specific program knowledge and administrative, secretarial, and clerical skills in support of the Reno Police Department; assume responsibility for specific program area duties; provide assistance in administrative and operating programs as assigned.
- Serve as primary contact and liaison with the general public, Reno Police Department staff and outside agencies and organizations for assigned functions and programs; Provide excellent customer service to all visitors and callers while upholding the Reno Police Department's core values.
- Receive and welcome all visitors to the Reno Police Department; collect appropriate intake forms; sign-in and provide visitor's badge for those checking in for meetings, appointments, etc; notify Sergeant regarding "fix-it" tickets; process evidence release requests; respond to all routine inquiries, questions and complaints in a courteous manner.
- Answer calls direct from the public and internal personnel on multi-line telephone system; respond to routine inquiries and transfer/refer callers to appropriate staff, unit, or outside agency for further assistance as needed; assist the public in interpreting and applying policies; ensure all questions are answered or routed.
- Provide citizens with information, forms and resource material. Assist the general public, outside groups and agencies, and Reno Police Department staff by providing routine information related to specific program area or Reno Police Department operations and activities in general.
- Utilize a victim-centered approach when assisting victims/survivors/witness of all types of crime; meet face to face with victims of crime; take written and/or oral statements, collect evidence and write crime reports. All evidence will be processed and preserved in accordance with the Department Evidence Control policy.
- Provide technical assistance to citizens utilizing the self-serve report taking kiosks; assist citizens in evidence collection and uploading into their case.
- Conduct a variety of studies and research for assigned area; collect, compile, and review information from various sources on a variety of specialized topics related to program area of assignment; participate in the preparation of reports that present data, identify alternatives, and make and justify recommendations. This includes the customer experience survey.
- Perform a variety of special projects and assignments in assigned area including the implementation and coordination of assigned program and project components; assist with the development of policies and procedures; implement and monitor program activities.
- Compile materials and compose reports, documents, applications, records; Ensure completeness and conformance with established regulations and procedures; apply applicable policies and procedures in determining completeness of applications, records, and reports; provide information and forms to the public; collect and process appropriate information.
- Type and proofread a wide variety of reports, letters, memoranda, correspondence, statistical charts, and other documents and material; type from rough draft, verbal instruction; independently compose documents related to assigned area of responsibility.
- Establish and maintain various filing systems, schedules and records; file correspondence, reports, bulletins and cards; log reports, applications, and/or telephone calls; maintain records related to specific area of assignment.
- Perform a variety of general bookkeeping and clerical duties and responsibilities involved in record keeping and reporting for assigned area; maintain a variety of records, logs, and files.
- Recommend improvements in work flow, procedure and use of equipment and forms; implement improvements as approved; develop and revise office forms and report formats as required.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including copiers, facsimile machine and computer; utilize various computer applications and software packages; enter data, maintain and generate reports from a database or network system; input, maintain, and utilize data to develop reports; create, format, and revise charts, graphs, flowcharts, worksheets, booklets, brochures, and forms using word processing, desktop publishing, and other computer applications; organize and maintain disk storage and filing.
- Perform related duties as required.
The following minimum qualifications are required to be met at the time of application.
Combinations of relevant work experience and education that are equivalent to the following are acceptable.*
Education and Training:
- Completion of a high school diploma or equivalent
- Specialized office support training
*Specialized training may include on the job training obtained through relevant work experience.
- Three years of increasingly responsible general office support, clerical, programmatic, and administrative support experience with a customer service, human services or criminal justice focus.
A background investigation will be conducted in order to verify the accuracy and completeness of statements contained on the application and to obtain information relative to predicting successful performance as a Police Services Specialist. Those individuals whose rank places them in the range to be certified to the department will be provided with a background information packet. This initial packet must be completed within the time period specified by the Reno Police Department.
In addition, eligible candidates selected for hire from the certified list for Police Department positions will be required to submit to a polygraph examination, and drug screening at the City's expense. The polygraph will be conducted by a licensed polygrapher. The screening components will be used to evaluate a candidate's capability to safely perform the related physical and mental demands of the job.
**Bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.**
Please submit your completed application and all additional information/documentation requested online at www.reno.gov/jobs by October 1, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. PT. If a computer or mobile device is not available to you, suggested locations to complete an online application submittal include: the City of Reno City Hall 2nd floor computer kiosk or 5th floor Civil Service Offices, any locations of Nevada Job Connect or any local library or educational facility.
If you are having difficulty logging into your governmentjobs.com profile, please call the applicant support line at 855-524-5627.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and pass the examination for this position to be eligible for hire. The examination will consist of online assessments which include a Written Skills Test and an Employee Personality Profile; along with a Training and Experience evaluation (T&E) weighted as follows.
Training & Experience Evaluation (T&E) = 40%
Written Skills Test = 60%
Employee Personality Profile = Informational purposes only
Online Assessment Details:
Qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the online assessments once the recruitment has closed. These tests will be self-administered with no proctor, which means candidates will be able to complete them online at their convenience during the designated testing window.
The instructions and guidelines will be emailed to qualified applicants after the recruitment closes on October 1, 2023. Please make sure to check for emails around this time, including your spam folder so that you do not miss this testing opportunity. All assessments must be completed within the designated testing window to move forward in the hiring process.
Subject areas that may be included on the Written Skills Test include:
Organization and Prioritization
Training and Experience Evaluation (T&E) Details
The T&E examination consists of a Supplemental Questionnaire. The questions may be viewed online under the tab marked "QUESTIONS" on the job announcement page. The
T&E must be submitted online at the time of application.
- Responses to your T&E questions should be consistent with the information given in your application details. Answers are subject to verification.
- Failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score; therefore, it is advantageous for you to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question.
- In order to receive credit for education or training, you must attach copies of your transcripts, diploma, or relevant certificates to your online application.
- Resumes or questionnaires uploaded as attachments to the application will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question online.
- "See Resume" or "See above," etc., are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
- Changes or corrections to your responses cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- TIP: It may be more efficient to develop your responses in a word processing document and then paste them into the online questionnaire to be submitted.
Applicants are notified by email of their examination results. Applicants who do not meet the minimum qualifications will also be notified.
If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability and will be requesting an accommodation, that request must be made to the Chief Examiner no later than the closing date of this announcement.
Employee/Veteran Preference (In the event of Tie Scores):
In the event of tie scores resulting from an open competitive examination, employees will be provided a rank preference in the following order: employees with established veteran status shall be given the first preference, non-veteran employees second preference and non-employee veterans third preference. This preference will only be administered in the event of tie scores. Documentation must be submitted at time of application.
Appointment and Certification:
Appointments to positions in the City's Civil Service system are made on the basis of examination. Scores resulting from a competitive examination are used in determining a person's rank on an eligible register. The department may hire any of the persons referred. The names of those persons not hired may be considered when the next vacancy occurs, for as long as that register is viable.
Health & Safety Statement:
The health and well-being of our employees, our families, and the community we serve is of utmost importance to the City. Please be aware that many roles at the City of Reno include interacting with members of the public, including close contact with vulnerable individuals. The City of Reno has implemented numerous strategies to minimize the spread of COVID-19, and other contagious diseases. Vaccination is recognized as an effective method for reducing the likelihood of infection, and limiting the severity of disease. While we have lifted the vaccination requirement for new employees, the City of Reno encourages all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, which includes boosters recommended by the CDC.
Questions about the information on this announcement and updates to application information should be directed to Civil Service at (775) 334-2223 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
The City of Reno is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment, hiring, assignment, training, compensation, promotion, retention, and disciplinary decisions will be made without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, political affiliation, membership in an employee association, or any other protected class status applicable under federal or state law or City Charter.
Please use this Health and Welfare Benefit Link to learn more about the City of Reno's great employee benefit plans and wellness programs.
Closing Date/Time: 10/1/2023 11:59 PM Pacific