Police Officer (Lateral Entry)**
**YOU MUST CURRENTLY POSSESS A NEVADA POST CATEGORY I CERTIFICATION OR OUT-OF-STATE EQUIVALENT AND BE ABLE TO OBTAIN RECIPROCITY THROUGH THE NEVADA COMMISION ON POST REQUIREMENTS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS RECRUITMENT.**
The City of Henderson's Police Department announces an examination to create an eligibility list and to fill 10-18 vacancies for the classification of Police Officer (Lateral Entry). The eligibility list may be utilized to fill vacancies for this classification for up to one (1) year.
Click here to view a complete copy of the job description and physical requirements
Depending on qualifications, candidates may be hired between steps 2 and 3 of the pay range per the following:Step 2 ($28.97/hour)
- POST Category I Peace Officer Certificate or out-of-state equivalent
Step 3 ($30.42/hour)
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university or college
Candidates may be eligible for the following one-time bonus(es):
- Relocation Bonus - up to $3,000
- Military Bonus - Honorable Discharge $1,000
- Education (highest level obtained)
- Associates Degree $1,000
- Bachelors Degree or above $1,500
Successful lateral candidates will participate in an accelerated training/orientation program (10-14 weeks) , in addition to a 17 week field training program.
To learn more about the Henderson Police Department, click here .
- Graduation from high school or the equivalent
- Possess and maintain a valid driver license. Upon hire, possess a Nevada or "border state" driver license under conditions defined by Nevada Revised Statute 483.035
- Must be a U.S. citizen by the time of application
- Must be at least 21 years of age by the time of application
- Must have no convictions for offenses greater than a misdemeanor. Must have no convictions for offenses of domestic violence
- Visual acuity must be correctable to 20/40 in one eye and 20/30 in both eyes.
- Hearing must be 30 decibels or less for each ear
- Must successfully complete the Henderson Police Department Academy within the time frame prescribed by the department
- Must pass a nationwide fingerprint-based record check, and a wants/warrants check.
- Must complete Security Awareness and National Crime Information Center (NCIC)/Nevada Criminal Justice Information System (NCJIS) certification within six months of hire/transfer and be recertified every two years. Must maintain certifications in NCIC/NCJIS as a condition of continued employment
For lateral entry - in additional to the requirements listed above, the candidate must :
- Currently possess an "active" Nevada Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST) Category I certification; or out-of-state equivalent and must obtain reciprocity through the Nevada Commission on POST requirements
- Have successfully completed a police academy training program, field training program, and a probationary period
- Be currently employed by a law enforcement agency and must be in good standing
- Desirable: Currently employed by a mid to large sized law enforcement agency
- Desirable: Experience working in a full-service municipal police department or sheriff's office
Required Documents/Assessment Information
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:
1) Completed Employment Application
2) Completed Supplemental Questionnaire
3) Current Nevada POST Category I Certificate or out-of-state equivalent certificate (You MUST attach your certificate to the "Attachments" section of your application, click here for attachment instructions.)
Physical Fitness Test (Pass/Fail) - TBD
Virtual Oral Review Board (Weighted 100%) - TBD
Captains/Chiefs Interviews - TBD
Please note: If you are invited to move forward to the background process, you will need to provide your personnel file from your current employer.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, you will be required to self-schedule through the City of Henderson on-line application system. Please check your e-mail on a regular basis after submitting your application for complete instructions, which include where and when to report.
The oral board process for this position will take place via Microsoft TEAMS on the dates listed above. All candidates who wish to be considered for this position will need to be available via TEAMS to participate in the testing process at any time on any of the dates listed above .
The remaining assessment and selection process for this position will take place on the dates listed above. All candidates who wish to be considered for this position will need to be in Henderson, Nevada, and make themselves available to participate in the testing process at any time on any of the dates listed above.
IMPORTANT : Appointment is subject to the successful completion of a post offer pre-employment background investigation, polygraph examination, medical/ physical examination, drug and alcohol test. Please see the job description to view the physical requirements of the job . As part of the background investigation, all claims of education and experience made in the employment application process, as well as other information submitted, will be verified.
NOTE: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. The selection process should be completed within four (4) months of the closing date. Candidates may reapply when there is a vacancy and a posting to establish an eligibility list. Some candidates may be disqualified indefinitely due to the results of their background investigation.
NOTE: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Some candidates may be disqualified indefinitely due to the results of their background investigation.
Closing Date/Time: 3/20/2023 3:00 PM Pacific