Join the City of Reno and become part of an amazing team who strives every day to make our community a place we are all proud to call home.
The ideal candidate in this position will perform a variety of advanced skilled trade and maintenance functions including new construction and remodeling of City structures utilizing plumbing, carpentry, electrical, painting, and HVAC skills. They will also operate a variety of hand, power and shop tools; and perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
We currently have a vacancy in the Maintenance and Operations Department in which hiring will begin immediately following the close of this recruitment. This recruitment will also establish a list for future vacancies, which will be filled as they occur.
This is both an internal and external recruitment to provide a promotional opportunity for all qualified current classified City of Reno employees and an open competitive opportunity for all other qualified applicants.
The City of Reno is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to everyone. This commitment is an integral part of our efforts to ensure that we have a diverse and representative workforce that serves the community of Reno.
Examples of Essential Functions
- Perform a variety of skilled trade and maintenance functions including plumbing, carpentry, electrical, painting and HVAC duties in the maintenance of City facilities, buildings, grounds, equipment, signs and machinery.
- Inspect assigned facilities or buildings for needed repairs or maintenance including burned out light bulbs, leaking faucets and vandalism; receive requests for maintenance and repair from City staff; perform preventive maintenance on assigned buildings and facilities.
- Maintain assigned downtown facilities and grounds including the Riverwalk; monitor water levels and water balance; check pumps and clean filters; program computer to operate the fountain as required.
- Install new electrical circuits for lighting purposes; repair or replace broken switches, outlets, ballasts, circuit breakers, relays, switches and thermostats.
- Troubleshoot, repair, and maintain all mechanical components and machinery including air conditioning, heating, plumbing, electrical systems, compressors, boilers, pumps, swimming pool machinery and filtration systems and auxiliary generating systems; repair or replace pumps, motors, belts and fan bearings necessary for proper operation.
- Troubleshoot, repair, replace and relocate all electric, electronic and pneumatic controllers for individual heating and cooling zones; balance air supply levels for individual zones and the percentage of outside and return air.
- Perform a variety of carpentry and cabinet making functions; fabricate counters, furniture and cabinets; remodel existing structures and erect walls.
- Repair, replace and install locks in City buildings; cut duplicate keys; repin and master pin locks and lock systems; repair and encode combination locks.
- Paint interior and exterior of City buildings and facilities including desks, chairs, tables and filing cabinets; operate and maintain a variety of painting tools and equipment including spray guns, compressors and nozzles; tape and texture; safely mix paints and other chemicals according to established guidelines.
- Fabricate, construct, install and retrofit various devices including handrails, service trucks, pressure washers, trucks and trailers; bolt, rivet, weld and screw parts to assemble structural and functional components.
- Perform routine and emergency repairs and preventive maintenance on sewer lift stations; change or repair filters, sump pumps, dehumidifiers, vent fans, lighting buffers, bubbler systems, fences, ceramic seals, valves, motors and electrical and plumbing systems.
- Maintain telemetry system including antennae, electrical conduit, remote transmitter units, power box, dry contracts and switching boxes; maintain air monitoring meters for confined space entry activities.
- Perform various plumbing duties; remove and replace sink, toilet and fountain fixtures; repair leaky pipes and lines; replace faulty valves, control devices and filters.
- Repair doors, windows, door closers, sheet rock and flooring; repair and perform preventive maintenance on existing roofs.
- Inspect, repair, and maintain playground and exercise equipment and structures; replace broken or worn out swing seats, chains, "S" hooks, springs, bearings, bolts, nuts, wood, gates and fences.
- Oversee assigned projects including planning and scheduling work.
- Operate a variety of machinery and equipment used in the construction and maintenance of assigned facilities including, but not limited to, tractors, backhoe, forklift, bulldozer, cranes, snow plow and gas and electrical welding equipment.
- Read and interpret a variety of blue prints, schematics, plans and specifications; ensure work duties adhere to established policies and procedures.
- Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provide information within the area of assignment; resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Estimate time, materials and equipment required for jobs assigned; requisition materials as required.
- Perform related duties as required.
The following minimum qualifications are required to be met at the time of application.
Combinations of relevant work experience and education that are equivalent to the following are acceptable.*
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Specialized training in assigned skilled trade(s) or a related field.
*Specialized training may include on the job training obtained through relevant work experience.
- Four years of increasingly responsible maintenance experience that includes two years of demonstrated journey level experience in assigned skilled trade.
- Valid driver's license.
**Bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.**
Please submit your completed application and all additional information/documentation requested online at www.reno.gov/jobs by October 1, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. PT. If a computer or mobile device is not available to you, suggested locations to complete an online application submittal include: the City of Reno City Hall 2nd floor computer kiosk or 5th floor Civil Service Offices, any locations of Nevada Job Connect or any local library or educational facility.
If you are having difficulty logging into your governmentjobs.com profile, please call the applicant support line at 855-524-5627.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and pass the examination for this position to be eligible for hire. The examination will consist of online assessments which include a Written Skills Test and a Mechanical Reasoning Assessment; along with a Training and Experience evaluation (T&E) weighted as follows.
Written Skills Test = 50%
Training & Experience Evaluation (T&E) = 30%
Mechanical Reasoning Assessment = 20%
Online Assessment Details:
Qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the online assessments once the recruitment has closed. These tests will be self-administered with no proctor, which means candidates will be able to complete them online at their convenience during the designated testing window.
The instructions and guidelines will be emailed to qualified applicants after the recruitment closes on October 1, 2023. Please make sure to check for emails around this time, including your spam folder so that you do not miss this testing opportunity. All assessments must be completed within the designated testing window to move forward in the hiring process.
Subject areas that may be included on the online written skills test include:
General facility maintenance
Training and Experience Evaluation (T&E) Details
The T&E examination consists of a Supplemental Questionnaire. The questions may be viewed online under the tab marked "QUESTIONS" on the job announcement page. The T&E must be submitted online at the time of application.
- Responses to your T&E questions should be consistent with the information given in your application details. Answers are subject to verification.
- Failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score; therefore, it is advantageous for you to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question.
- In order to receive credit for education or training, you must attach copies of your transcripts, diploma, or relevant certificates to your online application.
- Resumes or questionnaires uploaded as attachments to the application will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question online.
- "See Resume" or "See above," etc., are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
- Changes or corrections to your responses cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- TIP: It may be more efficient to develop your responses in a word processing document and then paste them into the online questionnaire to be submitted.
Applicants are notified by email of their examination results. Applicants who do not meet the minimum qualifications will also be notified.
If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability and will be requesting an accommodation, that request must be made to the Chief Examiner no later than the closing date of this announcement.
Employee/Veteran Preference (In the event of Tie Scores):
In the event of tie scores resulting from an open competitive examination, employees will be provided a rank preference in the following order: employees with established veteran status shall be given the first preference, non-veteran employees second preference and non-employee veterans third preference. This preference will only be administered in the event of tie scores. Documentation must be submitted at time of application.
On promotional examinations, in the event of tie scores resulting from final rating, including seniority points, an employee will be awarded veteran's preference and provided a rank preference if one (1) of the eligibles has submitted proof of honorable discharge from the military service. This preference will only be administered in the event of tie scores. Documentation must be submitted at the time of application.
Employees of the City of Reno shall receive seniority credit computed by adding to a passing score as follows:
The final ranking will include the applicable seniority points added to the overall grade of the examination process. For each full year of continuous service completed, 0.2 points will be added up to a maximum of ten (10) years... 2 points will be the maximum.
Rule VIII - Promotion, Section 9. Seniority Credit.
Appointment and Certification:
Appointments to positions in the City's Civil Service system are made on the basis of examination. Scores resulting from a competitive examination are used in determining a person's rank on an eligible register. The department may hire any of the persons referred. The names of those persons not hired may be considered when the next vacancy occurs, for as long as that register is viable.
Health & Safety Statement:
The health and well-being of our employees, our families, and the community we serve is of utmost importance to the City. Please be aware that many roles at the City of Reno include interacting with members of the public, including close contact with vulnerable individuals. The City of Reno has implemented numerous strategies to minimize the spread of COVID-19, and other contagious diseases. Vaccination is recognized as an effective method for reducing the likelihood of infection, and limiting the severity of disease. While we have lifted the vaccination requirement for new employees, the City of Reno encourages all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, which includes boosters recommended by the CDC.
Questions about the information on this announcement and updates to application information should be directed to Civil Service at (775) 334-2223 or email@example.com .
The City of Reno is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment, hiring, assignment, training, compensation, promotion, retention, and disciplinary decisions will be made without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, political affiliation, membership in an employee association, or any other protected class status applicable under federal or state law or City Charter.
Please use this Health and Welfare Benefit Link to learn more about the City of Reno's great employee benefit plans and wellness programs.
Closing Date/Time: 10/1/2023 11:59 PM Pacific