Lateral Police Officer
Modified Entry Police Officer - Entry No Academy
Exciting Announcement! - We are offering up to $40,000 in HIRING BONUSES!
These include bonuses for Lateral Officers, Veterans, a Relocation Bonus, and an Employee Referral Bonus*. (*All subject to requirements and at the discretion of the hiring agency.)
For more information please click on these documents:
Police Officer Incentive Flyer
Lateral Bonus Information
Serve your community. Make a difference. Grow your career. MEANINGFUL WORK awaits you here at the City of North Las Vegas. We serve one of the largest culturally diverse cities in the nation and our community continues to grow! If you value Accountability, Communication, and Teamwork then you are just the person we are looking for!
A Police Officer is an essential member of our team, we invite you to apply and help contribute to CNLV'S growing success! Please thoroughly review the information and selection process outlined below this announcement.
- Submit a Complete Application - For your application to be considered, you MUST fully complete an online application by providing sufficient information to demonstrate how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications, attach any documents as necessary, and answer ALL questions. Select "Apply for Job" at the top of this announcement and click "SUBMIT" at the end of your application.
- Shift work required - This position supports an operation that is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You must be able to work any shift (days, swings, or graveyard), and any day of the week, to including weekends, holidays, and overtime. Currently, the schedule consists of 10-hour shifts and are divided into two squads with days off being Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, or Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Must successfully complete training program - Laterals will not have to complete a full academy, but are required to complete an advanced academy. Advanced academy consists of learning the departments policy and procedure, defensive tactics, firearms training, preparation for the POST Certification (if not an in-state lateral), along with other training. Field training is broken down into four phases throughout 18 weeks. *Failure to successfully complete the eighteen (18) month probationary requirements will result in immediate termination.
- Pay Considerations - The starting hourly pay for this position is $28.86 (step 1). The selected candidate for this position starting salary is dependent on education, qualifications, and experience. An increase in starting pay may be evaluated by years of service and approved by the Chief. Existing employees will receive increases as outlined by their bargaining agreement.
This LATERAL POLICE OFFICER position is designed for officers that are CURRENTLY employed with another agency AND have a Category I Nevada POST Certificate OR are currently employed as a Police Officer in one of the states listed on the Nevada P.O.S.T. website. To view these states, please visit: https://post.nv.gov/Training/Reciprocity/
A copy of the applicant's current and valid Peace Officer Certification certificate MUST be scanned and attached to the on-line application.
Under direct supervision of chain of command, this position is responsible for the performance of professional police work in preserving and protecting public peace and safety, protecting life and preventing crime through proper enforcement of the law.
The full job description can be found here: Police Officer Job Description
Check out some of our benefits here: CNLV Benefits Flyer
Education and Experience
- Must have a high school diploma or GED at time of filing.
- U.S. citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of hire.
Other Conditions of Employment
- Minimum of two (2) years of current, continuous uninterrupted service with a law enforcement agency in the performance of duties directly related to Category I Nevada POST standards at time of application.
- Applicant shall possess a valid Category I (Police Officer) Nevada Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certificate or valid equivalent Peace Officer Certificate from one of the above listed states. A copy of the applicant's current and valid Nevada POST Category I certificate or equivalent MUST be attached to the online application
- Character above reproach pursuant to NRS 289.555 and NAC289.110.
- No person will be eligible for employment as a Police Officer who has been convicted of any crime for which the applicant is required to register and/or misdemeanor crime of domestic violence including use/attempted use of physical force.
- All personnel must reside in the greater Las Vegas Metropolitan area, such as North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City, or the City of Las Vegas, unless authorized by the Chief of Police.
- Valid Nevada Class C driver's license at time of hire with satisfactory driving record.
Licenses and Certifications
- Must possess a valid and current state driver's license at time of application. Must possess a valid and current NV state driver's license at time of hire and maintain satisfactory motor vehicle record for duration of employment.
Out of state applicant's additional requirements:
- MUST pass a Nevada POST approved Physical Agility Test after hire.
- MUST pass an 80 hour on-line Reciprocity certification training program after hire.
- MUST pass Nevada POST written state certification examination after hire.
- Peace Officer Certification MUST be current and no prior suspensions or revocations.
1. Complete online application - Interested candidates MUST submit a completed application through the City's application system. Evaluation of meeting requirements will be made solely on information provided on the application and any required attachments.
2. Physical Fitness Test
3. Conditional Offer Letter
4. Pre-Employment Screening -Background Screening/Investigation Includes an extensive background check, polygraph/CVSA examination, medical/drug screen exam, and a psychological evaluation. All top scoring candidates must pass the Background Investigation in order to move forward in the process. Applicants who proceed in the selection process will be required to complete an extensive police background. Among other items, the following are disqualifying behaviors:
Any felony conviction.
Any domestic violence conviction.
Gross misdemeanor and misdemeanor convictions will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
Although there have been recent changes to laws regarding the legal possession and consumption of marijuana, the City of North Las Vegas will continue to adhere to its professional standards and guidelines as it relates to recent and continuous use of the drug.
5. Psychological and Medical Evaluations
6. Official Offers
The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. The City will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. It is the responsibility of the candidate requiring accommodation to contact the Human Resources Department (preferably in writing) at the time of application.
For questions about this position or the selection process, please contact:
Phone: 702-633-2255 or 702-633-1755
YouTube: North Las Vegas Police Department
For Internal referrals please reach out to:
Human Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org
- People Group: Police Non Supervisor
- Grade: POA-66
- Minimum Salary: 28.86
- Maximum Salary: 48.66
- Pay Basis: HOURLY