The City of Henderson announces an examination to create an eligibility list and to fill one (1) vacancy for the classification of GIS Specialist in the Department of Utility Services. The eligibility list may be utilized to fill vacancies for this classification for up to one (1) year.
Under limited supervision, performs highly technical work related to the design, develop, support, and implementation of Geographic Information Systems GIS applications in support of the assigned department; performs related duties as assigned.
Click here to familiarize yourself with the position and its physical requirements.
Click here to learn more about the Department of Utility Services.
Click here to see what it's like to live in/visit Henderson.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in GIS/Geography, Information Systems, Computer Science, or a closely related field
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the analysis, planning, design, installation, verification, and operation of GIS applications
- Note: An equivalent combination of related training and experience may be considered
- Possess and maintain a valid Nevada or "border state" driver's license, as defined by NRS 483
- Must pass a nationwide fingerprint-based record check, and a wants/warrants check
- Must complete Security Awareness and National Crime Information Center (NCIC)/Nevada Criminal Justice Information System (NCJIS) certification within six months of hire/transfer and be recertified every two years. Must maintain certifications in NCIC/NCJIS as a condition of continued employment
- Desirable: Certification as a Geographic Information Systems Professional (GISP)
- Desirable: Certification as an Esri Web Application Developer Associate
Required Documents/Assessment Information
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:
1) Completed Employment Application
Scored Supplemental Questionnaire* (Weighted 100%) - Tuesday, February 14, 2023
* The supplemental questions will be part of the examination process and are weighed 100% for placement on an eligibility list. Only those candidates who possess the minimum qualifications for the position will have their supplemental questions reviewed and scored. Additional information will not be accepted after the closing date.
Selection Interview - Wednesday, February 22, 2023
(Top Scoring Candidates)
All applicants will be notified by email or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, you will be required to self-schedule through the City of Henderson online application system. Please check your email and/or text messages on a regular basis after submitting your application for complete instructions, which include where and when to report.
The assessment and selection process for this position will take place on the dates listed above. All candidates who wish to be considered for this position will need to be in Henderson, Nevada and/or available via Microsoft Teams to participate in the testing process at any time on any of the dates listed above.
The selection process will entail Subject Matter Experts reading and scoring your responses to supplemental questions 12-17 and your answers will be the sole determining factor for placement on the eligibility list for this classification.
Subject Matter Experts will NOT have access to any information besides the answers to questions 12-17. This means that they will not have access to applications, resumes or any other identifying information when scoring. Candidates who have been placed on the eligibility list will be invited to participate in a selection interview.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best-qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. The City will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. It is the responsibility of the candidate requiring accommodation to contact the Human Resources Department (preferably in writing) at the time of application.
Appointment may be subject to the successful and timely completion of a post offer pre-employment background investigation and medical/physical examination, including a drug/alcohol test. Please see the job description to view the physical requirements. The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards.
Closing Date/Time: 2/9/2023 3:00 PM Pacific