Fleet Mechanic I
We are looking for a Fleet Mechanic I to support our Public Works Department in diagnostics and procedures in the maintenance and repair of automobiles, light, medium and heavy duty trucks, heavy construction equipment, small engines, and public safety vehicles including, but not limited to, motorcycles, fire trucks, and police vehicles. Employee at this level is required to be adequately trained and experienced in all procedures related to assigned area of responsibility.
- Applicant/employee must have own tools.
About North Las Vegas:
Established in 1946, the City of North Las Vegas is the third largest city in Nevada and is one of the fastest growing cities in the state. Serving a community of roughly 260,000 people (and growing!), North Las Vegas is comprised of a diverse group of residents, businesses and employees dedicated to positively influencing the community and making an impact!
The North Las Vegas team is a caring and fun group of individuals who take a vested interest in each other's success. We lift one another up and challenge each other to rise to the occasion each and every day. We do whatever it takes to ensure that vital resources and services that our residents and businesses depend on, are provided in an efficient and effective manner. Community, accountability and teamwork is everything to us and at the heart of all that we do. We are proud of our accomplishments and work diligently to strategically align operations with the City's objectives.
Benefits and Perks:
(Many of our positions offer the following)
- 4-day, 36-hour workweek, Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (May vary by position specific needs).
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental and Vision insurance plan option, with affordable low cost alternative plans available.
- 13 paid holidays off annually.
- 3 weeks of annual leave accrued each year (up to applicable maximums).
- 3 weeks of sick leave accrued each year (up to applicable maximums).
- Employer-paid participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System of Nevada (PERS).
- Employer-paid Term Life and AD&D insurance for employees, plus dependent life insurance.
- Deferred compensation 457(b) Plan, which is a government deferred compensation plan similar to a 401(k) plan. It offers both pre-tax and after-tax savings and investment options.
- Annual merit increase program based on performance evaluations and/or contractual wage increases.
- mplimentary access to our fully equipped fitness center at City Hall.
Key Focus of the Role:
(Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following)
- Perform basic to intermediate mechanical and electrical, maintenance, diagnostic, repair and inspections on various types of vehicles including but not limited to: automobiles, light, medium and heavy duty trucks, small engines, light and heavy construction equipment, public safety and emergency vehicles including but not limited to motorcycles, fire trucks, rescue units and police vehicles.
- Use a variety of shop tools and equipment.
- Perform repairs of vehicles and equipment systems including but not limited to: HVAC, electrical, hydraulic, brake, fuel system, computerized controls, auxiliary and emergency lighting, communication equipment, chassis, power train, safety, maintenance, wheels, hybrid systems, exhaust, suspension and steering and tire balancing, changing and repair.
- Repair various types of firefighting apparatus including water systems, hydraulic, electrical, mechanical systems, ladders, etc.
- Operate a variety of vehicles and equipment in performing the assigned work.
- Respond to "road" calls and perform field repairs.
- Assist other mechanics in the performance of their duties.
- Read and interpret technical service repair data and schematic diagrams.
- Prepare and enter data for service and repair work performed and parts and supplies used into a computerized work order system.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Two (2) years of full-time experience in the maintenance and repair of vehicles and/or heavy construction equipment. Graduation from an accredited college, trade school or vehicle or equipment manufacturer in the repair of automobiles, trucks or heavy equipment which may be substituted for one year of work experience.
- Must possess a valid Nevada driver's license and satisfactory motor vehicle record at time of hire, transfer, promotion or reclassification. Failure to maintain a valid Nevada driver's license and a satisfactory motor vehicle record may result in termination of employment. If an applicant does not have a Nevada driver's license, one must be obtained within thirty days of moving to, or taking employment in the state of Nevada per NRS 483.245 and NRS 482.103.
- Must obtain and maintain a Nevada Emissions Inspector License, 1G or 2G, within six months of date of hire/promotion.
- Must obtain and maintain a Mobile Air Conditioning Society (MACS) section 609 certification within six months of date of hire/promotion.
- Obtain and maintain Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certifications, within eight months of date of hire/ reclassification. Must be certified in a minimum of two automotive and one truck classification from the ASE Certification Test Series approved by the supervisor.
- Emergency Vehicle Technician (EVT) or EVT Master Certification preferred .
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) preferred.
- Written Exam Required: Passing Score of 70% or Higher to proceed to the Oral Panel Interview
- People Group: Teamster Non Supervisor
- Grade: TNE-17
- Minimum Salary: 22.5
- Maximum Salary: 40.14
- Pay Basis: HOURLY