The City of Henderson welcomes applications from candidates who wish to be an integral and trusted members of the community that strives to exceed the expectations of our customers while belonging to a team of dedicated professionals, who will remain true to our values, focused on our organizational priorities, and resolute in knowing that people matter. This recruitment will be used for the upcoming academy in March 2024.
Under general supervision, performs work of moderate difficulty related to Advanced Life Support, Fire Rescue Operations, and Fire Prevention; and performs related duties as assigned.
Click here to familiarize yourself with the job and its physical requirements.
Click here to be directed to the Join Henderson Fire website for FAQs, and other useful links.
What does the City of Henderson offer?
- Uniform Allowance of $1,885 (Full-year advance is paid on the first check, then in biweekly installments)
- A comprehensive compensation and benefits package (benefit package found here )
- Robust retirement package through the Public Employee Retirement System (PERS)
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Low cost of living and no state income tax
- Click here to see what it's like to live in/visit Henderson.
Please Note: This is an hourly/non-exempt position, all candidates will be required to start at Step 1 of the pay scale for this position. This is non-negotiable.
- Graduation from high school or the equivalent.
- Must be 18 years of age at time of the written examination.
- Possess and maintain a valid Nevada or "border state" driver's license, as defined by NRS 483.
- Must possess a current certificate as a Paramedic by the time of final offer.
- Must possess or obtain a valid Southern Nevada Health District Paramedic certification within one (1) year from receiving provisional licensure.
- Must successfully complete the Henderson Fire Department Paramedic Internship within the time limits established by the department as a condition of continued employment.
- Must successfully complete cadet academy within time limits established by the department as a condition of continued employment, to include obtaining a State of Nevada Firefighter II Certificate.
- Desirable: United States citizenship
Required Documents/Assessment Information
APPLICANTS FOR THIS POSITION ARE REQUIRED TO:
1) Completed Employment Application
2) Attach a current Paramedic Certificate , if applicable ( will be required to provide by the time of final offer letter)*
3) Attach a CPAT passing notice/card showing taken on or after September 1, 2023, if applicable ( will be required to provide by the time of final offer letter)*
*Click here for attachment instructions.
Written Examination (Weighted 30%) - All written examinations must be completed by September 13, 2023. Please note: Scores will only be accepted for tests taken between April 13, 2023 and September 13, 2023 .
Chief's Structured Selection Interview (Weighted 70%) - Week of October 2, 2023 (additional dates may be added)
GENERAL RECRUITMENT TIMELINE:
- All interested candidates will submit their online application by the deadline in the posting. NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- Candidates who meet minimum qualifications will receive an email instructing them to register for/schedule the Firefighter written examination through the National Testing Network (NTN). NTN scores must be completed by September 13, 2023.
- Top-scoring candidates will move forward to the Chief's Structured Selection Interviews.
- This recruitment will be used for the upcoming academy with a tentative start date in March 2024.
GENERAL RECRUITMENT INFORMATION:
- A City of Henderson online employment application is required. No walk-ins will be permitted.
- Candidates must respond to the supplemental questions to help us determine their qualifications for this classification.
- Applications will be screened for completeness, required qualifications, and applicable certifications.
- All correspondence will be sent via email, therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
- Please check any spam blocker you may have on your computer to enable your email account to receive our correspondence.
- If you currently possess a valid Paramedic certificate, please upload and attach the certifications to your online application.
NTN WRITTEN EXAM SCORES:
The City will only accept NTN Exam scores that are less than six (6) months old. If your original NTN test date was before March 13 , 2023, they will NOT be accepted by the City of Henderson. For all NTN-related inquiries, please contact NTN directly.
- All successful candidates invited to attend the City's Fire Academy must submit proof of a passing CPAT notice/card on or after September 1, 2023 by the time of the final offer. Do not take the CPAT before September 1, 2023, as anything taken before this date will be considered invalid.
- CSN currently offers CPAT testing, for more information on preparation or scheduling, please click here and search for CPAT.
- For additional information pertaining to the CPAT, such as testing requirements and locations, please click here .
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best-qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. The City will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. It is the responsibility of the candidate requiring an accommodation to contact the Human Resources Department (preferably in writing) at the time of application.
Appointment may be subject to the successful and timely completion of a post offer pre-employment background investigation and medical/physical examination, including a drug/alcohol test. Please see the job description to view the physical requirements. The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards.
CITY OF HENDERSON, NEVADA
Fire Contract (IAFF) Benefits Summary
56 Hour Work Week
- Health Insurance: Medical, Prescription, Dental, Vision
- Employer paid Long Term Disability
- Employer paid Term Life Insurance - $50,000 or one times annual salary, whichever is higher.
- Employee Assistance Program
- Medicare - Employee and City each pay 1.45%.
- Employer paid membership in the State of Nevada Public Employees Retirement System (PERS).
- No Social Security tax on employee's wages.
- Retirement Health Savings (RHS) program
- Service based retiree health insurance subsidy.
- The City provides a clothing and personal effects allowance for employees required to wear a uniform.
- Employee credited with 48 hours of annual leave after completion of six (6) months of continuous service. After six (6) months, annual leave hours will accrue at eight (8) hours per month for a total of 96 hours during the first year.
- Accrued at 216 hours per year second through fifth year; 264 hours per year for the sixth through twelfth year and 336 hours per year upon completion of twelfth year and beyond.
- Accrued at one shift per month from date of hire.
- For death of immediate family member, 48 hours off with pay per occurrence. An additional 48 hours of sick leave may be used for funeral services held 500 statute miles or more from the City of Henderson.
- 13 paid holidays per year.
- Average 56-hour work week, 24 hour work day.
- IRC 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- IRC 401A Deferred Compensation Plan (new/re-hired employees only)
- IRC125 Plan Flexible Benefits Plan
- Cancer/Catastrophic Illness, Accident, Short Term Disability Insurance
- Auto and Home Insurance
- 529 College Savings Plan
- Supplemental Term Life Insurance
- Legal Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Identity and Credit Protection
- Employee Network Membership
Closing Date/Time: 9/7/2023 3:00 PM Pacific