Deputy Dir of Neighborhood and Leisure Services
We are looking for a Deputy Dir of Neighborhood and Leisure Services to support our Neighborhood and Leisure Services in supporting the c ity organization, operations based on the exisiting policies and procedures. Awareness of State and Federal laws governing parks and public facilities, including OSHA requirements, all policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of public recreation programs. Ideal candidate will have an awareness of all Parks & Recreation program planning, knowledge of best practices, and evaluation principles and have the ability to demonstrate the principles and practices of public sector administrative management, including cost accounting, budgeting, purchasing, contract management, customer service and employee supervision.
This is a full-time position in the CNLV's Parks and Recreation Department. Under general administrative direction from the Parks and Recreation Director, is responsible for the development of planning, managing and overseeing the activities and operations of the CNLV Parks & Recreation Department (P&R), including programs to enhance the physical, social, cultural, and environmental well-being of the community, along with the maintenance and improvements of the parks system and facilities.
About North Las Vegas:
Established in 1946, the City of North Las Vegas is the third largest city in Nevada and is one of the fastest growing cities in the state. Serving a community of roughly 260,000 people (and growing!), North Las Vegas is comprised of a diverse group of residents, businesses and employees dedicated to positively influencing the community and making an impact!
The North Las Vegas team is a caring and fun group of individuals who take a vested interest in each other's success. We lift one another up and challenge each other to rise to the occasion each and every day. We do whatever it takes to ensure that vital resources and services that our residents and businesses depend on, are provided in an efficient and effective manner. Community, accountability and teamwork is everything to us and at the heart of all that we do. We are proud of our accomplishments and work diligently to strategically align operations with the City's objectives.
Benefits and Perks:
(Many of our positions offer the following)
- 4-day, 36-hour workweek, Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (May vary by position specific needs).
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental and Vision insurance plan option, with affordable low cost alternative plans available.
- 13 paid holidays off annually.
- 3 weeks of annual leave accrued each year (up to applicable maximums).
- 3 weeks of sick leave accrued each year (up to applicable maximums).
- Employer-paid participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System of Nevada (PERS).
- Employer-paid Term Life and AD&D insurance for employees, plus dependent life insurance.
- Deferred compensation 457(b) Plan, which is a government deferred compensation plan similar to a 401(k) plan. It offers both pre-tax and after-tax savings and investment options.
- Annual merit increase program based on performance evaluations and/or contractual wage increases.
- Complimentary access to our fully equipped fitness center at City Hall.
Key Focus of the Role:
(Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following)
- Fosters and promotes Department and City goals by demonstrating Department and City values. Carries out complex administrative and supervisory responsibility in accordance with City policies, procedures and applicable laws, including training in job skills; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems, as well as budgeting and planning tasks as required.
- Manages a comprehensive parks and recreation program and park maintenance program in assigned area for over 33 developed park sites, 13 miles of trails, golf courses, neighborhood recreation centers, grounds keeping, custodial, general trades work, vehicle maintenance coordination, program support, sports fields, turf/field maintenance, trails, waste management, playground maintenance.
- Responsible for developing, recommending and implementing goals and objectives for the division with emphasis on Innovation, conservation, diversity and inclusion.
- Prepares annual reports as needed.
Qualifications and Attributes:
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Recreation Administration, Public or Business Administration, or related field; AND six (6) or more years of increasingly responsible professional experience in Parks & Recreation program administration, including six (6) or more years of administrative or supervisory responsibility in parks maintenance, purchasing, budgeting and CIP project management; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience .
Master's Degree or Certified Public Manager experience preferred .
Licenses and Certifications:
Must possess a valid state driver's license and maintain satisfactory motor vehicle record and ability to obtain appropriate Nevada state driver's license within required time frame.
Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (CPRP), or Executive (CPRE) preferred .
Experience with CAPRA Accreditation desired .
Position Reopened until September 15th, 2021
- People Group: Appointed
- Grade: ADD-43
- Minimum Salary: 104516.74
- Maximum Salary: 162967.91
- Pay Basis: YEARLY